Wally English 9 (rev. 2007)
Name: Hr. Due date:
NO-EXCUSE SPELLING PINK REVIEW PACKET (rev. 2007)
Directions: 1) Indicate the part of speech of each word USE A DICTIONARY!
2) Define the word. Use the first definition listed. USE A DICTIONARY!
3) Place the correct word in the blank space provided in each sentence.
4) Eventually, you will transfer your answers for the fill-in-the-blank sentences to a
scanner sheet with a #2 pencil.
Note! This packet will be graded for accuracy!
Group A - Remember to use a dictionary.
Word 1. (A) accept: verb to receive willingly
Word 2. (B) except:
1. He will the award.
2. No one his mother came.
3- 4. I your settlements offer for the last part.
5. She takes all the required courses one.
Group A - Use a dictionary.
Word 3. (A) affect: verb
Word 4. (B) effect: noun
6. She knew her life would us all.
7. Her boyfriend began to her grades.
8. The was tremendous.
9. How did the exam her quarter grade?
10. What did losing the regular quarterback have on the Vikings' season?
11. It will not her decision to play in the Superbowl.
12. Mark's joke didn't his father.
13. The of the tackle was a torn ligament.
Group A - Use a dictionary!
Word 5. (A) advice:
Word 6. (B) advise:
14. She was asked to the students on college opportunities.
15. The counselor's helped the student choose the right classes.
16. Please me as to which car to purchase.
17. It's good to wear a safety belt.
18. I always try to follow my parents' .
Group A - Use a dictionary!
Word 7. (A) analysis:
Word 8. (B) analyze:
19. I try not to what my friends talk about.
20. We were asked to the data.
21. The doctor's determined that the disease was treatable.
22. He presented his to the professor.
23. Please the following poetry selections.
Word 9. (A) choose:
Word 10. (B) chose:
Word 11. (C) chosen:
24. the dessert you want.
25. I was representative of the Sophomore Class.
26. I try to clothes according to price and style.
27. He to take Keyboarding his freshman year.
28. We were asked to the gift we preferred.
Group B 28
Word 12. (A) desert:
Word 13. (B) desert:
Word 14. (C) dessert:
29. Camels live easily in the .
30 The 's fattening.
31. The townspeople living near the volcano had to their homes.
32. The was called the Sahara.
33. He ed his troop in the desert.
Word 15. (A) its: possessive pronoun
Word 16. (B) it's: pronoun + verb
34. Our team lost standing.
35. What is problem?
36. a shame you didn't win.
37. According to the tour guide one hundred miles from here.
38. mane was matted and needed combing.
Word 17. (A) lead: a. verb
Word 18. (B) lead: b.
Word 19. (C) led:
39. The majorette the band in the parade.
40. The seeing eye dog will the blind girl to safety.
41. The substance in pencils is not but graphite.
42. We were to believe that we had won.
43. The detective followed every he discovered. 43
1. The fan belt was and caused the car to overheat.
2. If I my assignment, I will be very upset.
3. Even though we keep , our team has a lot of positive spirit.
4. The hamster got in the science room.
5. Don't your button because it's .
1. We could gone, but because rain we didn't.
2. He is in charge team uniforms.
3. I trouble determining parts speech.
4. I should unplugged the coffee pot before leaving for the show.
5. Because the accident, Sue will to ten stitches.
1. I the house several times.
2. Grandma lives in the .
3. His Gremlin up my Vet.
4. He walked the student and never noticed him.
5. In the , men weren't allowed in women's dorms.
1. His against blacks was obvious at the meeting.
2. I've been taught never to be against anyone.
3. The teacher's for good spellers was apparent.
4. John feels has no place in the United States.
5. However, sometimes I think he is against people with less money than himself.
31. principal: a. noun
32. principal: b. adj.
33. principal: c. noun
1. His reason for becoming a was to make more money.
2. He didn't agree with her of honesty.
3. Honda was the sponsor of the motocross race.
4. A basic of good writing is to stress one idea.
5. The of freedom is based on self-discipline.
1. We were asked to be in choir between songs.
2. If we're not, we'll have to .
3. a few students decided to Research Techniques because it is a bit of work.
4. She is popular.
5. The cliche' is as a mouse.
1. This bread is tastier the loaf I baked.
2. Walking might be safer hitchhiking.
3. If he puts on elevator shoes, he'll be taller.
4. More anything else, he wants her to be his friend.
5. I'm taller he.
1. The students took homework to the commons.
2. Children can usually write names before kindergarten.
3. celebrating an anniversary tonight.
4. They have a metric track .
5. styles of music were vastly different.
1. Sue claimed she was with drugs.
2. The janitor away our test papers by accident.
3. The student raced the hallway.
4. The quarterback a pass for a touchdown.
5. I am trying to be friends with them.
1. He has much homework.
2. She gives us a lot of homework, .
3. Who's say which team will win?
4. The skiers are regional champions.
5. Gail was full eat quarter-pounders.
1. to say which teacher is best?
2. She's the one always losing everything.
3. Did you see car was in the accident?
4. responsibility is this?
5. responsible here?